Your browser does not support Javascript

Identity Documents for Your DBS Check

You must send a number of identity documents with your DBS Check application form. When choosing the documents to send, one of two routes can be opted for:

Route 1: One document from group 1, and two further documents from either group 1, 2a or 2b (one of which must verify your current address).

Note: Non-UK/Non-EEA nationals
All Non-UK/Non-EEA nationals should be validated via route 1 by supplying the following combination of documents:
- Current Passport
- Biometric Residence Permit or UK Work Permit/Visa
- 1 further document from group 2a or 2b which verifies your current address

Route 2: Three documents from group 2 comprising of:
- One document from group 2a
- Two further documents from group 2a or 2b (one of which must verify your current address)

Group 1 - Primary Trusted Identity CredentialsCurrent valid Passport - UK or EEA (or non-EEA in combination with a Biometric Residence Permit or current Work Permit/Visa)Biometric Residence PermitCurrent UK Driving Licence, Full or Provisional (card licence not paper counterpart)UK Birth Certificate (issued within 12 months of date of birth)Adoption Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)

Group 2a - Trusted Government/State Issued DocumentsCurrent UK Driving LicenceCurrent Driving Licence - Paper Version (if issued before 1998)Certified copy of UK Birth Certificate (issued after 12 months of date of birth)UK Marriage/Civil Partnership CertificateUK HM Forces ID CardUK Fire Arms Licence

Group 2b - Financial/Social History DocumentsUK Mortgage Statement**UK Bank/Building Society Statement*UK Bank/Building Society Account Opening Confirmation LetterUK Credit Card Statement*UK Financial Statement** (e.g. Pension, Endowment, ISA)UK P45/P60 Statement**UK Council Tax Statement**UK Work Permit/Visa (UK Residence Permit)**UK Utility Bill (not mobile telephone)*Benefit Statement (e.g. Child Allowance, Pension)*A document from Central/Local Government/Government Agency/ Local Authority giving entitlement (UK & Channel Islands)* e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social SecurityEU National ID CardUK cards carrying the PASS accreditation logoLetter from headteacher or College Principal (UK, 16-19 year olds in full education. Only used in exceptional circumstances if other documents cannot be produced)

* Documentation should be less than 3 months old.
** Issued within the last 12 months.

More in depth information about completing the application form can be found on the DBS website

  1. "I think Juliet is an excellent tutor and has helped me a lot to improve my grade in history. She was always postive towards me in my lessons and explained information to me which helped me gain more knowledge for my history exam. She set me homework which improved my writing ability to achieve a high standard of work. Thank you "
  2. Ms P, Stanmore